Thursday, October 16, 2008

Invent-a-soup

We had some leftover bacon tonight and I knew I wanted to make soup, so I looked on the interwebs and in my cookbooks for some recipes. I ended up with a recipe-less mishmash of soups that was really tasty.

I borrowed heavily from two lentil soup recipes in the Covent Garden Soup cookbook, which is SO good, and a Delia Smith lentil soup recipe.  Basically, I fried the bacon with some onions in the bottom of my soup pan, and then added carrots, celery, green lentils, veggie stock, cumin seeds, ground coriander, some chili flakes, and a can of chopped tomatoes.  Simmer until the lentils are done, and poof! Dinner!

John pronounced it 7/10 (the lentils were a little undercooked and the whole thing could have simmered for longer but we were HUNGRY). V. tasty.

I have an Amazon gift certificate that was a birthday present (thanks, M!), that I've been sort of hoarding. I NEVER buy books - it's such a special treat. I think I might have to get the new Seasonal Soup book from the Covent Garden peeps.

I shall ponder.

2 comments:

kat | Taylor Made designs said...

oh we love soup here. We just had dinner of butternut squash soup. Yummy. I roasted the squash in our outside grill. Added a nice dimension to the soup.

I have a couple of good soup books that I always reference. [one is from the new england soup factory lady}
Let me know if you are interested in any one soup :) Happy to share!

Rebeka said...

Splurge and buy yourself a cookbook! I'm terrible with buying them, it's been a bit of an addiction. I guess there are worse addictions to have!

Thanks for your comments on Lily...she's a doll :) Can't wait until she's big enough to wear the sweater you made for her! I want to catch up over IM soon...now that she's a bit more manageable I can grab you and actually type with TWO hands!!