Thursday, January 22, 2009

Obama and the NHS

I got to watch the inauguration, live on TV. But not quite from where I'd expected to be.

On Sunday night, I started feeling really achy and tired, and I stayed home from work on Monday and slept all day. I had fairly intense abdominal pain, and we called the doctor at around 8 on Monday night. They wanted to take a look at me, so John and I went to Bury Hospital, where I ended up spending the night. They were incredibly nice - everyone was welcoming and comforting and seemed eager to get me sorted out as quickly as possible.

They'd come to the conclusion that I had either appendicitis or gall stones, and so kept me on a clear-liquids diet with an antibiotic drip. When I went for my scan, my appendix (and gall bladder and liver and various other parts) were all showing as normal, so they gave me a bit of supper and we all waited to see what would happen. The docs then decided that whatever I'd had was on its way out (probably as a result of the nuclear antibiotics that I was on), and that I could go home.

I've been resting at home since then - I keep getting visions of adventures like walking around the block or making some soup, but I seem to still be at the stage where the only thing I need after my nap is another nap. I'm incredibly thankful for all the fab staff at the Bury hospital, especially all the doctors and nurses on the F6 ward - although I was definitely glad to come home. My experience with the much whinged-about NHS was entirely positive - I was in a room with 5 other women in a mixed ward and everything was clean and bright and well taken care of. The food food, but that's to be expected.

And, I had my own TV (with headphones), so I got to watch the inauguration from the comfort of my bed.


Mark said...

Good to see you looking a little better. Be sure not to overdo it.

kat @ Taylor Made designs said...

take care of yourself!

Appendicitis can be so dangerous. Neal's actually burst when he was 25 years old. He ended up in the hospital for over 14 days.

I'm glad you are on the mend.
Have a great weekend.

Picklesmum said...

OW, sounds nasty. Picklesdad had gall bladder problem, which didn't show up on a scan. Instead of gall STONES he had sand type substance in there which was blocking it. Took WSH ages to find out what it was. If it reoccurs get them to check that!
Take care x

StowmarKate said...

Oooh thanks for the suggestion, Picklesmum - if it comes back I'll definitely mention it. So far it's been suggested that I had cystitis, was pregnant, and had gas. Who knows!?

Anonymous said...

Kate! Only just read you were sick. Read entries backwards which is silly but typical topsy turvy me. So sorry you were in lots of pain. Glad you are out of hospital and feeling much better. Take care. I was snowboardin while you were sick and have only just checked into blog. Will try calling you some time this week. Lots of love M x