Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010!

We've started the new year with SNOW!! It's not as epic a snowfall as the one we had two weeks ago, but it'll do.

The sm. boy gave me the latest Hairy Bikers cookbook, from the series that John and I were completely addicted to. I'm definitely going to have to make their Suffolk pork recipe, and at least drool over some of the more complicated ones, if I don't end up making them.

In other book news, according to the New York Times, Scholastic are reviving The Baby-Sitters Club books and Ann M. Martin is writing a prequel. I was OBSESSED with the books as a kid - I started reading them when I was about 7 (at which point 12-year-olds were impossibly mature and fascinating), and read them until well into middle school. It was pretty much where all of my babysitting money went, at least for the first few years.

I always thought I was really cool because my collection included both the English and American editions of the books (not duplicates, but I filled in gaps in my collections with whichever edition I was closest to at the time). I think the books are still with my parents, in a box somewhere, or I may have given them away. They drove my parents a little bit crazy - I'd drop an hour or two's worth of babysitting money on a book, only to then read it in one three-hour sitting. I used to re-read the books constantly, too.

I think I might have to splurge on the new book, although I'm not sure I can bear to expand my BSC collection to include a hardcover book. I DID have The Baby-Sitters Club guide to babysitting, which I used to bring with me on all of my jobs. Just in case.

1 comment:

C said...

Happy New Year!

A Babysitters Club prequel? That is kind of exciting. I was sooo into those books. My family used to make fun of me for it.