Friday, November 4, 2011

Autumn (and a review)

It has felt really autumnal this week - the clocks went back on Saturday so it is now Properly Dark when I leave work. It has been windy and rainy but not super cold (yet), which is nice.


John has been making hot chocolate - lactofree milk, cocoa powder, and a little bit of brown sugar. James wanted whipped cream last weekend, so we bought a spray can (hadn't bought one in years and years!). Mmmm. There was plenty left, even after the boy put a giggle-worthy amount of cream onto his hot chocolate. Then John went all artistic with the cocoa powder. I feel like it's not a particularly unhealthy drink - a small amount of sugar (no more than you'd put in a cup of tea), a glass of milk, and some cocoa. Ok, well, until you add the whipped cream, anyway. That's only for special treats, I promise!

I finished Jodi Picoult's newest book, Sing You Home, last night. I read it in 2 days (how does she write books that just fly by?). I really enjoyed it, even if parts of it made me gnash my teeth in frustration at the characters. I tried listening to the music that was specially composed by a friend of hers for the "soundtrack" (the protagonist is a music therapist and singer-songwriter). Just, no. Oh, well. It's pretty hard to live up to the fictional amazing songs of a fictional character where every reader superimposes their own ideas of an amazing song onto the music.

1 comment:

Vivren said...

Whipped cream in a can is so much fun! But homemade whipped cream tastes infinitely better. (Which, did you know is quite freezable--like Cool Whip?) This also makes me wonder if you can make lactose-free whipped cream at home...