Saturday, February 25, 2012

Nom Wah!

Nom Wah Tea Parlor was reviewed in the NYT back in April, and then featured again in June. We had intended to visit when I was in NY in September, but ended up with a larger lunch group in Chinatown than we had anticipated, and didn't think we'd get in.

As part of the trip to NY for Grandma's memorial service, my mom and I had an epic day out in NYC. We went uptown to the Frick, window-shopped on the UES, then took the 6 downtown to Chinatown. We had a little bit of trouble finding Doyers St, but eventually managed it. They're right about the fact that it seems like a forgotten corner of the city - we knew where we were going and almost missed the street!

[I flew under the radar on this trip and really didn't see anyone other than family - if I didn't see you, don't be mad at me!]


When we sat down, we noticed that everyone else had big plates of greens on their tables, and appeared to be slurping them down with gusto. We ordered a pork bun (for me, mom doesn't like them), shrimp noodle rolls, scallion pancakes, dumplings, and Chinese greens with oyster sauce. SO delicious. Only problem is that they're kinda tricky to eat, especially with chopsticks. I think next time we'll ask for them to be cut in half in the kitchen. They were fresh, hot, glossy, crunchy, and really tasty.



Oh, and we were wondering about the table manners of the gentleman over mom's left shoulder in the picture above, with his napkin tucked into his shirt. Well, we didn't wonder long. It's for the greens. They're messy. We followed suit rather quickly.


Yumsters. I'm going to have to find myself a recipe for these, and possibly for scallion pancakes.

No comments: