Thursday, September 20, 2012

Review: The Thread

I ordered Victoria Hislop's new novel, The Thread, (I've read her first two) from the library. Somehow, the copy I received was a signed copy. Um, what? Why was this at the Stowmarket library? Oh, well. In any case, I enjoyed it.

I found it a little bit predictable, but not in a bad way. It's told with a present-day introduction, before flashing back to 1917, where it progresses through history until the 1960s, and then jumps back to the present right at the end.

A few of the characters were flat, but on the whole, it was historically interesting with a good storyline and immersive writing. I hadn't realised how far back the problems in Greece go...it was interesting to have a historical backdrop for the current economic issues.


Also, Downton Abbey is back. Not that I managed to stay up for it on Sunday night, or anything, but ITV-streaming meant that Monday night was rather good. Just had to avoid Twitter for any spoilers...

No comments: