Sunday, November 25, 2007

Too...much...turkey

We ordered our turkey a few months ago from the butcher. When I picked it up yesterday it seemed a bit heavy. And expensive. When I got it home, I realized that we'd bought a 9 KILO turkey rather than a 9 POUND turkey. That's an 18 lb turkey for those of you not doing the math. Oh, and there were 6 grown-ups and one kid at our table.

John and I got up at 6 this morning to put the bird in the oven, and accidentally left the oven on 190C instead of 160C. The turkey was a little dry, but otherwise very tasty. Oh, and it was done an hour early. John made the mashed potatoes, and we had butternut squash with shallots and sage, sauteed broccoli with garlic, creamed onions, and stuffing. Freda made some gorgeous cranberry sauce, and the best apple pie I've ever had for dessert. Elia brought a really tasty pumpkin pie with pecans on the top, which we completely devoured in addition to the apple pie. It all looked really festive and Thanksgiving-y on the plate - and I completely forgot to take a picture.



Happy eaters:

We have SO much leftover turkey - I've filled a huge tupperware container, and that was after I'd extracted the dry meat. This picture? AFTER everyone had eaten.


We only got through the meat from one side. I sent a huge chunk home with F & T, and it's going to be turkey sandwiches for the rest of the week. Any turkey recipes would be gladly taken. I thought about making soup, but couldn't bear to extend the turkeyness - so I threw away the bones. I felt SO guilty doing it, but I just knew I wasn't going to use them. Maybe I should have frozen them - I don't know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a BIG Bird! At 9 kg, you really had almost 20 pounds (19.8 to be exact...wasn't the conversion 2.2 pounds per kilo?) Metric, Centigrade, Euros, litres, so many conversions, so little time. At least you had some serious practice when we lived in Peterborough (and bought Frites in Weert!) We're working through our leftovers too, and Rrufus is extremely grateful for the proverbial 12 fishes and 12 loaves, with the supply of both white and dark meat treats seeming to be endless. Enjoy the leftovers, one meal at a time!

Love, Dad.

Anonymous said...

Your turkey looked totally yummy!
In fact, everything you had sounded so good.

Neal makes stock from the leftover carcass and stuff. It's terrific to use in soups. {and we happen to be huge soup people}

MarkG said...

I've spent a few minutes going back over the last year or so of postings - never expected to see Kosta and Elia grinning out at me!

I worked with Kosta in Bury for many years. Small world...