Monday, April 22, 2013

LL Bean tote bag improvement

On one of my trips along the Maine 'pike to Waterville via Freeport a zillion years ago, I stopped at the LL Bean outlet to see what they had. I found a small navy blue tote bag with my mom's name embroidered on it, so I had to buy it. I couldn't tell why it had been returned - it looked fine. Normally there's a spelling mistake or the font is wrong or something.

Anyway, my mom said that she didn't need it, so I got out the seam ripper and picked out the stitching. The bag always looked cute, just a little raggedy where the embroidery had been.

And then.

I found this little guy that John bought me a year or so ago (I don't remember where).

I bleached the stains (it's a 10-year-old white bag) and washed the bag.



When the bag came out of the washer, I reshaped it and ironed it on hot (it's canvas and can take it).

When the front panel was mostly dry, I ironed on Mr. Sheep, following his care instructions, right over the raggedy part.


New bag! I think he's happy there, don't you?


I had no idea how hard it was to iron canvas. That stuf is wrinkly. And stays wrinkly.

No comments: