Thursday, June 15, 2006

My New Friend Colin

I was at Ickworth on Tuesday, doing my usual stuff (press releases, a little ad design, etc), when the phone rang. I picked it up...here's what followed.

"Good afternoon, Ickworth House, Park and Gardens, this is Kate."

[a old-ish man with a terribly posh British acent)
"Hellooooo Kate!! This is Colin."

"Hi Colin, what can I help you with?"

"OOOhhh...I'm just ringing about those lovely Pudding Lunches you have in November. I'm TERRIBLY excited."

"Well, I'm glad to hear it!"

"My dear, you're not from around here."

"Nope."

"Where are you from, then?"

"New York."

"OOOOHHHHH! I LOVE New York. It's so charming! And what brings you to Ickworth."

"I married an Englishman."

"Oh DEAR. Well, will you be at the Pudding Lunches, then? I'd LOVE to meet you!"

"I'm not sure I'll make it, but if I do, I'll be sure to say hi."

"Ohh, that's just LOVELY. I'm RATHER excited about it all."

"So, is there anything specific that I can help you with?"

"Oh!! Yes, that WAS why I was calling, wasn't it!? We're a party of 15 and we'd like to all sit near each other. If it's at ALL possible, my dear girl."

"Well, Colin, I'll see what I can do."

I love Ickworth.

No comments: