Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lazy weekend

I woke up on Saturday morning feeling like I wanted a proper breakfast. We had some extra eggs, so John made poached eggs for us while I fried some bacon and mushrooms. Mmmm. His new-and-improved egg-poaching method involves a shallow frying pan, a kettle of boiling water, a pinch of salt, and some vinegar. I've always been afraid to poach eggs - it seemed like such a lot of things could go wrong.

The method: boil the kettle, add some salt to the frying pan, with a low flame. When the kettle boils, pour the boiling water (slowly!) into the pan. Turn down so the pan is just simmering. Add a splash of vinegar. Crack the eggs on the side of the pan, and drop them in, gently. The smaller pan and shallower water will mean that they don't spread. NEATO!

Last weekend with Pav, we picked up my Christmas present from Wibbling Wools. A KnitPro Symfonie Interchangeable knitting needle set. LOVE it. I had seen the KnitPros on various websites, but I was not in love with the somewhat psychedelic rainbow-coloured wooden needles and didn't really want metal or acrylic ones. The Addi bamboo ones were SUPER expensive, which made me sad.


I was really excited when Wibbling Wools had this "special edition" set - the needles are rosewood and really beautiful. And they come in fancy box. They're slightly slippery, but I'll get used to them. I was getting really frustrated with never having quite the right needles for whatever project I was doing - now I don't have to worry about it. And apparently I can add more/thicker/thinner KnitPro needles in whatever material I like to the set - they'll all fit.

Oh, and we rented Ponyo this weekend. I really like Miyazaki's movies (except Howl's Moving Castle). However, Ponyo seemed a little weird. Maybe it was the dubbed American Disneyfied version (although I also generally quite like Disney, too), and I would have enjoyed it more with subtitles. Not sure. It seemed a little disjointed and slightly camp. Anyway, not one of my favorites - I won't be watching it again!

1 comment:

Halfpenny Home said...

Lovely needles! I'm trying out some rosewood ones by Lantern Moon - we're planning to stock them soon - I think that I'm too used to the bendy bamboo ones though as I too find the rosewood a bit slippy...very envious, Nic x