Sunday, May 8, 2011

Use more butter, y'all!

There was a surplus of bananas at work (they feed us lunch, including a piece of fruit), so I took some home with the promise to make banana bread.

Boy, did I make banana bread!

I rifled through my recipe books, and decided that the Paula Deen "put some more butter in it, y'all" treatment would be appropriate.

It was definitely the best banana bread I've ever had (and I have the emails from my colleagues to prove it - they devoured it and asked for more)! The crust was a little bit chewy and vaguely caramelised, and the inside was moist and crumbly and very banana-y.


Recipe: Banana Bread (from Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics)


1/2 c butter (at room temp; or wrestle with cold butter like I did)
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c plain flour
1 tsp baking soda (I used bicarb)
1 tsp baking powder
3 ripe bananas, mashed (I doubled the recipe and used 7 bananas [and 2 loaf tins], but they were small ones)

Grease a loaf tin. Combine butter and sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well (it'll look dry before you put the bananas in). Bake in the loaf tin for 50 mins at 375F, until a skewer comes out clean and your house smells amazing.

6 comments:

janerowena said...

being English, I'd really like to know how you measure a cup f butter. I have resorted to squishing it down into a measuring jug, (taking it out and then weighing it for future reference,) in the past, but it's really messy. How do americans do it?

Vivren said...

I love banana bread! I haven't made it in a while. You have inspired me. Also, my recipe uses sour cream in it for a super moist banana bread, if you're interested in trying a different recipe!

Also, American butter comes in pre-measured sticks. How does it come in Ye Olde Land?

janerowena said...

So does a stick equal a cup?

Our butter comes in blocks of 250g, but many of us still cook using pounds and ounces, so know that it is just over half a pound. Butter used to be sold by the pound. It's only fairly recently that grocers have given in and gone metric, they fought against it for years. As did most of the public.

Baer said...

Often, butter comes in “sticks”. Each stick is 1/2 cup and the measurements are in the side of the paper wrapper.

Mandy said...

If you cook in pounds, our measurements for 1 cup is 1/2 lb. Hopefully this helps.

janerowena said...

Thanks for that, Mandy! Still struggling with US recipes, but getting better.