Monday, January 14, 2008

Mug Cozy

I've been at loose ends since I finished the blanket - I'm not feeling inspired or energetic enough to start something as big as a sweater, I have a million hats & scarves, and I don't wear mittens. Don't like wool socks, either. So I was trawling the interwebs for project ideas and made a mug cozy. I cannibalized a bunch of patterns around the internet: I cast on 50 stitches and worked a K2P2 rib until I was 'done'. It's a little tall for this mug, but it works on our bigger ones. Guess I'll just have to make another one. Oh, and because I'm so clever, I found this tutorial and made a buttonhole. I'm not sure I did it right, but it's a buttonholey looking thing and it hasn't unraveled. Yet. It's tied together with yarn at the moment, since I'm short a button. There were lots of tutorials where I was supposed to crochet a loop and other nonsense - I need to learn how to crochet but not right this second.



We had the inlaws over yesterday for lunch - we roasted a chicken using this recipe from Good Food. It was, by far, the best chicken I've ever had. Sorry, Mom. And then I made chicken soup for the boys, using the stock and some carrots and peas and pasta. Which was good, because I was home sick today (some kind of cold-y thing), and it was a very restorative lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The mug cozy is fabulous, and one of those things you don't know you need until you see it. I'm sure you don't remember, but your great grandmother Hughes was a prolific knitter, and kept us all in warm woolen slippers, knitted hats with matching mittens, and if you were lucky, short sleeved sweaters.

She also made booties for Baby Kate to keep your tiny little toes warm and toasty.

The knitting went everywhere, and Grandma was the original multitasker; she could knit, pay attention to the baseball game on TV, and tell wonderful stories about the family all at the same time.

She was also a fabulous cook, and the Thanksgiving turkey dinners at her and Grandpa's house in Garfield New Jersey were wonderful, and right out of a Norman Rockwell painting.

So, you come by your skills honestly - through inheritance from your maternal grandmother, and paternal great grandmother.

Love, Dad.